Thursday, December 15, 2011

Is it safe to send my social security number by email?

I need some info from my former school and they asked for it. I have no idea who will be reading the email.|||No - remember that email is transmitted via UDP;


unreliable datagram protocol...not only may it not


get where you want it to; it can be read by any


protocol analyzer in the path.|||"No - remember that email is transmitted via UDP;"





Email is sent via SMTP (simple mail transfer protocol) which uses TCP not UDP.

Report Abuse


|||I concur that you shouldn't send your ssn through e-mail. The only exception would be if the e-mail is encrypted. My work has encryption set on all outoging e-mails. The US Govt requires that you e-mail them a spreadhsheet with your ssn if you want to be considered for a White House tour. Not good.

Report Abuse


|||By NO means. NEVER do this.|||Nope I would not do it. If you have your student number forward them that. Or if possible visit them in person.|||No, if they really need it go there in person.|||No. It is not safe.|||call.them.on.the.phone..or.ask.for.a.sec鈥?/div>


  • 4 years ago




  • Report Abuse

No comments:

Post a Comment