Thursday, December 15, 2011

Can you email social security regarding questions abouut remarriage?

can you email social security regarding questions abouut remarriage?


My former husband has asked me to remarry him.we were married for 16 years divorced for 6.we want to remarry,however I do know because I was married to him for 10 years I am entitled to his benefits when I retire.how would they look at this marriage?a new marriage for me?etc,would i be considered a new wife etc?any help would be appreciated.


we live in Massachusetts.


thanks


Joanne and Mike|||You are entitled to death benefits if he dies because you were married for 10 years. You are entitled to your own Social Security benefit when you reach your retirement age. Here is a link to divorced spousal benefits on the SSA.|||They do have a section on their web site where it has many questions and answers already asked- look to see if it answers it. I do not think it will make much difference about benefits as they only look at what you made in life and go by those highest amounts. If you are still married at the time of retirement- you usually go with the higher earners wages to base higher payments on.


Look up how they figure out benefits and it will make more sense to you.|||I would call your local office since it sounds like your situation needs explaining that could be misunderstood. That way they can get all the info at once, rather than going back and forth taking a lot of time. Local offices usually are more personable and friendly than the national office

https://secure.ssa.gov/apps6z/FOLO/fo001鈥?/a>|||You can email them if you know an email address. Maybe you can find one at socialsecurity.gov.|||go to their website, they have a great Q %26amp; A section there.

No comments:

Post a Comment