Saturday, December 17, 2011

I sent my social security # in an email. I realize that was a big mistake. Is there anything I can do now?

It was for work so I didn't give it to much thought but I don't want my social security number out there especially with all the ID theft.|||Jackie are u serious?





Social security numbers CAN BE used to apply for credit cards, loans, bank accounts, government id %26amp; MANY MANY other things ( FRAUD, ILLEGAL ACTIVITIES ) that can screw u for LIFE !!! Those numbers is all government knows you by... without them you don't exist, hence why you are told NEVER to enter that information into ANY website or to send ANY personal IDENTIFICATION info in an email.





Melissa|||Nothing you can do now except for hope for the best. If it was sent to someone internally for work, like the HR dept., then you shouldn't worry. They are used to dealing with confidential information. I can't think of anyone else who would legitimately ask you for your SSN.





If it was sent to someone outside of work, or someone in work who really shouldn't have it then





Report what happened to the social security office.


Report what happened to your HR dept.





Order a copy of your credit history from each of the three credit bureaus (this is free) - http://www.creditinfocenter.com/creditre鈥?/a> or http://www.bankrate.com/finance/credit-d鈥?/a>





If there are items on the history that are not yours, contest them.





Depending on the above, you may need to file a police report.|||I wouldn't over worry. Just don't do it again. If it was for work and the person you sent the e-mail to was your boss and YOU ARE SURE the e-mail was correct, than I can't see much problems. Sure, people can gain access you emails you send, but the chances are quite slim. Only give out your social security number on OFFICIAL government websites that require your SSN.|||I doubt anyone can do anything with a social security number, just don't do it again or anything similar. Email is just like sending a postcard innit.





NO YOU NEED MORE THAN A SOCIAL SECURITY NUMBER TO APPLY FOR ANYTHING.

No comments:

Post a Comment