Thursday, December 15, 2011

If someone knows your name, social security #, cell phone #, email, is that enough to steal your identity?

I went to a college counselor and inputted all this information in her computer. She said that if I'm uncomfortable with inputting my social security number I didn't have to, but I did anyway, but now I'm getting worried.|||Nowadays, it is very easy. However, it wouldn't be hard for the counselor to get it anyway, being a counselor there.





To relieve your worry, there's not much you can do about it now. The counselor probably has info on numerous students and would be jeopardizing their entire livelihood besides their job to do something stupid. Most people with that bad intent are not going to let you know they have your info so it wouldn't be so easy for you to know who it is.





Alot of colleges are still slow with switching student id numbers and use the social as the student id.





Just keep a note of where/who you leave your important info with so if something comes about you'll have a log of the possible outlets. There are also various identity theft services you can google.|||Yes, someone with all that information can have a lot of fun posing as you, taking loans, getting credit cards and what not.





You have to trust the counselor and hope noone is able to steal any of the information stored on her computer.|||Its quite easy to steal someones identity just by having SSN, address, and of course their name. Credit cards especially. I know it happened to me. One of my family members did this. However, since this is related to a college counselor, I would not be too worried.|||I do believe that systems within schools colleges and other places of business are very secure and getting more secure all the time but there is always a chance for identity theft. That is why you are supposed to check your credit score at least every 6 months to 3 times a year and since there are 3 major places to check your credit score(1 free credit check per year) and again since there are 3 that means 3 free credits checks a year-use them thats what they are there for.

No comments:

Post a Comment